This is my entry for Mulitpowers annual Healthy baking bake off. I got to use two different flavours of protein power to create something that looks good, tastes good, and uses their protein powder in the mix. I used Multipower Caramel coffee flavour protein and Rich Chocolate protein, to create this delicious mocha coconut roll.
- 200g Ground Almonds
- 200g Oats blended to a flour
- 150g Dates
- 65g Cacao powder
- 2-3tsp Instant coffee
- 15g Caramel Coffee Whey protein
- 15g Rich Chocolate Whey protein
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (chilled overnight)
- 100g Dark Chocolate
- 1tbsp Desiccated coconut
NB. Coconut milk in a can will separate when its cold enough, separating the creamy fatty layer from the water. Sometimes in the winter you will find it does it at home without even being chilled, sometimes you can feel that its separated in the supermarket from being chilled when you give the can a shake. To make the cream for this recipe you will need the can of coconut milk to have separated, so either give the cans a shake in the supermarket, or chill it in your fridge overnight before you get baking.
- Start by preparing a rectangular baking tray with baking parchment. The parchment will need to cover the whole tray and hang over the ends slightly to aid with rolling.
- Using a blender blend your oats into a fine flour, then combine this with your ground almonds in a large mixing bowl.
- Boil the kettle and dissolve 2/3 tbsp (depending on how much you like coffee) in approx 130ml of water. Add this mixture into a blender with your dates and whizz it up to form a paste.
- Combine this coffee and date paste with the cacao and the two flavours of protein powder.
- Mix the date paste into the oat and almond flour mix and combine all of these ingredients together to form a sticky dough.
- This might take some time to form and you will need to get your hands in there, add a little water at a time as needed.
- Tip your dough onto your prepared tray and wash your hands. Take your time to slowly spread the dough into the corners and fill the tray evenly.
- Pop your tray into the freezer to chill and begin to prepare your cream.
- Once chilled, your coconut milk should have separated the fatty creamy layer from the watery layer. For this recipe all you want is the hard top layer. Scoop this out of the can and whip it up in a bowl like cream. You can add vanilla or a sweetener of your choice but I like mine as is.
- Remove your roll from the freezer, spread on the cream and gently begin to roll it up, use the baking parchment to help you. Don’t worry if there’s a few crack the chocolate will cover that.
- Once rolled up put back into the freezer again and melt your dark chocolate.
- Remove frozen roll from the freezer and cover with the melted chocolate, it should set quite quickly on the cold roll, sprinkle on your desiccated coconut, and your good to go. One perfect protein coconut mocha roll.