I had never been so excited for a package to arrive. The moment I first clasped eyes on this bad boy I knew we would be so happy together.
The Tefal ActiFry is something I have wanted to have a chance to try out for so long, and I was utterly delighted to get the opportunity to review it.
My model is the ActiFry Express XL and wow it is XL. It looked beautiful on my worktop all shiny and full of promise, and I couldn’t wait to get it going. I started off simple and set about chopping some sweet potato to make some sweet potato fries.
What I liked:
I cannot express enough how simple the machine was to use and start up . A simple on switch and plus and minus buttons to set your timer. You can open the ActiFry with the click of a button during cooking to check your foods progress, meaning if your unsure how long something needs its not an issue.
Another thing I really liked is compared to baking in the oven (I never fry in oil) it was super quick! The sweet potato took 20 minutes to transform itself into crispy, healthy, heavenly fries. Not to mention no pre-heating time, as soon as you press that on switch your fries start cooking.
What were the fries like?:
In a word…incredible. I have been trying for so long to perfect my sweet potato fries baked in the oven. They call for lashings of olive oil, brown sugar, salt, and corn flour (in an attempt to get them crispy). For these simple fries, I literally chopped up one potato, added around 1/4 of the tbsp the ActiFry comes with, of olive oil, and seasoned them with a little paprika and salt when they were finished. They were crispy, hot and delicious, and tasted all the better knowing how healthy they were. When it came to true test of crispness, the ‘can is hold itself up?’ test, they passed with flying colours.
The Best bits:
- Easy to clean, virtually no mess at all.
- Quick cooking time.
- Easy to use and change the timer.
- Requires such a little amount of oil.
What I didn’t like so much:
So if you read me blog you of course will understand that my first thought on what to make in the ActiFry would be protein donuts…I know I can hear you all screaming out for them, but due to the paddle in the centre of the fryer that pushes the food around, I came across a fair few technical difficulties. I Still haven’t given up on the dream so watch this space. But the paddle is what moves the food around, so anything easily broken, like freshly battered fish (I later discovered) is still workable but a little more tricky.
I’m in love with the thing. Its already made poor George (Foreman) rather redundant, as I have found cooking my chicken in it so easy and tasty. Sausages can be just chucked in and are cooked in 10 minutes without the need for any oil at all, and I have even created some more exciting things…See boodles below 😉
10/10, 5*, Big thumbs up from me
….and OMG the fries.
Spicy Boodles in the Actify
Recipe serves 2
Cooking time is approx 25 minutes from chopping board to dinner plate.
- 130g Baby new potatoes
- 60g Red onion
- 1 Aubergine (approx 250g)
- 80g Red bell pepper
- 1tsp Thai 7 Spice (you could use another mix of spices)
- 200g Chicken breast meat
- 1 Tin/Carton chopped tomatoes (approx 390g)
- 1 Large garlic clove
- 1 Small green chilli (mine was 17g)
- 60g Spinach
- 300g Boodles (butternut squash noodles)
- Chop up your baby new potatoes into small cubes and chop your red onion pop them into the actifry with 1/4 tbsp olive oil.
- Set your timer for 5 minutes and leave to cook.
- Meanwhile slice your Aubergine into thick slices (approx 1.5cm thick) and then cut the slices into quarters. Chop up the red pepper, and chicken breast.
- After the 5 minutes add the prepared aubergine, red pepper, chicken and thai 7 spice, drizzle with 1/4 tbsp olive oil and set your timer for 20 minutes.
- Set about finely chopping your chilli and garlic clove.
- When the timer shows 10 minutes left open the ActiFry, and add the chopped tomatoes, chilli and garlic, and give it all a little stir.
- When the timer shows 5 minutes left of cooking time add the boodles and spinach, stir to incorporate the boodles, and allow to finish cooking.
- The timer will go off and you have two generous portions of deliciously chilli boodles to enjoy!
MACROS(per portion) : 387Kcal/ 8.8g Fat/ 34g Carbs/38.6g Protein/ 8g Fibre