This virtually zero carb recipe for cloud bread is from Lisa Faulkner on the This Morning Show. It really was simple to make, if you have an electric whisk it is very quick and easy, if you don’t I’m not sure I would go to that much effort hand whisking it. The trick is all in the whisking of those egg whites, the more air you get into them the more air your ‘bread’ will have.
I added mixed herbs, salt and pepper to mine. They were still rather bland eaten alone so I would definitely make sure to add some seasoning.
Another issue is getting them off the tray afterwards. I used foil greased with 1kcal spray olive oil, but I think more greasing would be beneficial as would possibly using greaseproof baking parchment.
Apparently you can batch bake these and freeze them. To be honest due to the texture being so soft I cant imagine how they would de-frost, but worth giving it a try.
The taste on there own was ok, rather bland, but when making a sandwich from them really transformed a meal, and definitely gave me the impression I was eating real bread.
All in all I give cloud bread a huge thumbs up!
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp Cream cheese (I used a low fat version)
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- Mixed herbs
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees and grease and line a baking tray.
- Put egg yolks, cream cheese and seasoning into a bowl and mix until there are no lumps .
- In another bowl whisk your egg whites and cream of tartar together with an electric egg whisk. Keep whisking until you have soft peaks.
- Beat one spoonful of the egg whites into the yolk/cream cheese mix, and then fold in the remaining egg whites slowly, ensuring not to lose too much air.
- Drop large tablespoons of the mix onto the greased baking tray, and bake for 15/20 minutes.
MACROS (makes 8): 31Kcal/ 2.1g Fat/ 0.5g Carbs/3.2g Protein