So sat at home the other evening, both my boyfriend and best friend started on the ‘bake me something’ tirade. I call it a tirade but it doesn’t take much persuasion to get me in the kitchen trying out a new idea. Sometimes these things I throw together don’t work so well, and other times possibly they work too well…remember to only have the one!
My best friend is allergic to nuts and coconuts, so in order to please them both chocolate is the way to go. I made some incredible gooey brownies last week but they contained coconut oil so they were a no go for this evening. I love testing myself and creating things within diet restraints so really I was in my element.
This recipe makes 9 decent sized brownies.
- 40g Cocoa powder
- 40g Chocolate Orange whey protein (could replace some of the water with the juice from an orange and use plain chocolate whey)
- 25g Brown Rice Flour
- 4 tbsp Agave
- Pinch salt
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 3tbsp Egg whites (equivalent to the whites of 3 large eggs)
- 150ml Warm water
- 2 tbsp Waldens farm chocolate sauce
- 1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum
- 25g Dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp Freeze dried strawberries and raspberries (stolen from a box of cereal)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/ gas mark 4, and line a brownie tin with baking parchment.
- In a small bowl whisk up your egg whites and keep to one side.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cocoa powder, protein powder, brown rice flour, baking powder, xanthum gum and pinch of salt.
- Make a well in the centre of your mixed dry ingredients and add the agave, waldens farm chocolate sauce, egg whites and water, being careful to add the water one bit at a time.
- Finally add the chocolate chips and freeze dried fruit, tip into the prepared brownie tin, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
MACROS (per brownie): 88Kcal/2.1g Fat/13.4g Carbs/5.1g Protein